Monday, May 30, 2011

A Cure

His therapist came down to the kitchen with him.  She was quite impressed.  "He just used the word antidote in a sentence and he used it correctly.  I've never even used that word in a sentence".  


Last fall was the first time anyone mentioned that his vocabulary was beyond his years.  Anyone who works with him up at school has noticed his use of big words.  This is just one of many examples of autism that I never noticed until it was pointed out to me.  I just thought it was just CG being CG, it was a stage, it was his age, etc.  I see it all the time now.


I asked Curious George what antidote meant.  He told me it was a cure.  He picked up the word from one of the many TV shows he watches.  It's his ability to take the word and use it in everyday life that sets him apart.


The irony of this all is that there is no antidote for autism.  

No comments:

Post a Comment